You can request equipment or technology to help you remain independent in your own home if you are an adult with age related impairments, long term illness or disability.  

For example you may need: 

  • grab rails 
  • toilet frames 
  • bed raisers 
  • adapted cutlery  
  • electronic devices 

There will be no charge for assistive equipment that is approved and issued on long term loan to you.

You will require an assessment for all assistive equipment and for adaptations to your home like a stairlift. The assessment will be proportionate to your request.

Check if we can help

When we can help

We can help if you are over 18 years old, have long term needs due to an illness or disability and have difficulty with:  

  • getting in and out of your home  
  • washing and using the toilet  
  • domestic activities such as cooking and eating  
  • getting in and out of bed or a chair
  • daily tasks that electronic devices could help to make easier 
  • existing equipment that has been provided by us

When we cannot help

Contact your GP if you:  

  • receive existing care funded by Continuing Health Care (request a referral to the Sirona Community Rehabilitation team) 
  • have recently been discharged from hospital or have a short-term illness that you expect will improve (request a referral to the Sirona Community Rehabilitation team)
  • if you require treatment for vulnerable skin, swollen or ulcerated legs (request a referral to the Sirona Community Nurses)
  • require an assessment for a wheelchair, or you have a wheelchair which is no longer meeting your needs (request a referral tothe NHS Bristol Centre For Enablement – Wheelchair Services)
  • need a mobility assessment for a walking aid or you are concerned about your risk of falls inside or outside your home (request a referral to a Falls Clinic or a mobility assessment from the Sirona Community Physiotherapy team) 
  • have difficulty sleeping in your bed due to a medical condition which affects your breathing or swallowing, or causes chronic pain (request a referral to the Sirona Community Nurses)  
  • have difficulties managing your prescribed medication (request a referral to the Sirona Community Nurses)   

If you need to buy your own equipment or make adaptations to your home, visit our adaptations at home page.

If you cannot expand the section above, try refreshing your browser.

How to request equipment

You can request equipment online by using the button below and logging into your South Gloucestershire Council online account.

You can also request equipment by:

  • phone: 01454 868007 (Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm and Fridays 8.30am to 4.30pm)

For online requests you will need to set up an online account with us if you do not already have one. You can ask for someone you know to act on your behalf if you need help managing your services with us. 

How to set up and manage an online account with us.

Request a review of your current care

You can also use the phone number and email address above to request a review of your current care.

What happens next

Your request will be reviewed. We may need to request further information from you, your carers if you have them, or other health and social care professionals to help us make a decision. 

If we need to offer you a face-to-face occupational therapy assessment, we will do so as soon as resources permit.

In the meantime we will normally send you an acknowledgement letter with contact details in case you have any questions.

Find out more on our how adult care and support needs are assessed page.  

Get advice  

You can discuss your needs with us if you would like further advice by: 

Care costs

Find our paying for adult social care page for more information.

Privacy notice 

Learn how we collect, use and share your data in our privacy notice for adult social care

Beta This is our beta website