Information on potential strike action affecting waste and recycling services 12-18 June and 26 June-9 July.

Our online services for planning, building control and licensing applications will be unavailable on Saturday 10 June from 2pm to 4pm. This is due to essential maintenance.

Looking for rented accommodation

If you are looking for rented accommodation, the government has produced a how to rent checklist for tenants in private rented housing. This also helps you understand your rights and responsibilities. 

A private rented property could be any type of residential property such as a house or a flat. The property is owned by an individual or private company who then allows someone to live in it for a monthly rent payment.

The advantages are:

  • properties are usually available immediately
  • you have greater choice over where you live
  • there are options for furnished, unfurnished or part furnished properties
  • it is easy to end the tenancy if you decide to move

The quickest way to find a  private rented property is to search online or ask family and friends. You can also check online sites, local estate agents and newsagents. 

When you have found somewhere to live and before moving in you will need to know: 

  • if you need to give rent in advance, a deposit, a reference, or a rent guarantor 
  • the type and length of tenancy being offered 
  • how much the rent is and if any bills are included 
  • if the property is furnished or unfurnished 
  • if the landlord has any rules, for example if smoking and pets are allowed

Lettings agents are no longer able to charge fees for letting a property to you.

Home safety

The government has produced a guide on how to rent a safe home that gives information on the main hazards to check for in a rental property. It also explains your landlord’s duties and what you can do if you have concerns or need to make a complaint.

Landlords have a duty to: 

  • maintain the condition of their property  
  • have an Energy Performance Certificate 
  • make sure there are no category 1 hazards in the property  
  • check gas appliances every year and have a valid gas safety certificate  
  • safety test electrical appliances before you move in, and annually onwards
  • get the wiring in the property checked every five years by a qualified person 
  • make sure any furniture, or furnishings comply with fire safety regulations  
  • register houses in multiple occupation with us

A category 1 hazard poses a serious threat to the health or safety of people living in a property. For example, exposed wiring or overloaded electrical sockets, a dangerous or broken boiler, bedrooms that are very cold.

If you are renting already and have concerns about any of the above, contact us using the details on this page. 

Deposit protection

When you pay a deposit to a landlord, they must protect it using a  government authorised tenancy deposit scheme.

The scheme will make sure that your deposit is kept safe so that you get all or part of your deposit back at the end of the tenancy if you have met the terms of the tenancy agreement.   

Financial help with paying your rent

If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to help with paying your rent. See information on housing costs on our financial support for residents page.

You may be able to apply for a  budgeting loan for help with the cost of moving in and some basic furnishings if you have been on certain benefits for 6 months.

Alternatively you may be eligible for assistance from the  Great Western Credit Union.

Our welfare grant scheme can also help with some essential items. 

If you are at risk of homelessness we can offer advice.  To discuss your situation and find out if you are eligible for any financial assistance contact  HomeChoice. 

Keeping records 

You must keep a copy of:

  • your tenancy agreement with your landlord’s full contact details
  • any inventory or property condition report
  • any relevant safety certificates

When you move in you will need to inform the service providers for water, gas, electricity, TV licence and council tax.  

You should give your new address to your GP, bank, building society, mobile phone provider, DWP or HMRC if you are in receipt of benefits.

Paying your rent

It is your responsibility to pay your rent. Make sure you know how and when your landlord is expecting to receive rental payment. 

If you claim housing benefit you must report any changes in your household’s circumstances or income to the housing benefit department. 

If you pay your rent by standing order you must have enough funds in your bank account on the day payment is due. 

If you pay your rent by cash make sure you have a signed rent book or receipts from your landlord. 


If part of the property or an appliance needs repairing you should report this to your landlord so that they can arrange for this to be investigated and fixed. 

The government has an online checker to find out: 

  • how to get something fixed by your landlord or letting agent
  • what to do if your landlord or letting agent are not responding to your requests

Problems during your tenancy

There is guidance on the rights and responsibilities for landlord and tenants in the private rented sector from GOV.UK.

Find out if we can help you with problems in your property or a neighbouring property.

Problems in my property

You can use this letter template to send to your landlord or property agent to tell them about repair needs. 

If you do not receive a response to your letter and no repair work is done you can visit a One Stop Shop for advice or contact us by using the details on this page.

Contact us only if your landlord fails to comply with legal tenancy requirements or you believe the property is an unlicensed HMO.  

Call 01454 864503 or email  

See our privacy notice for how we use your data.


If a landlord does not meet their legal responsibility to tenants we can investigate further. 

Full access to the property would be required for an inspection. 

Landlords, managing agents and tenants will be given at least 24-hours’ notice of the inspection and the landlord can choose to attend the appointment, send a representative or not attend at all. 

We will contact tenants following an investigation to discuss our findings and potential actions including formal enforcement.

If enforcement action is taken this can include fines up to £30,000.

Problems from another property

If tenants in a neighbouring property are causing concerns you can contact the relevant service: 

The government has launched an online, legal support pilot to help tenants resolve housing disrepair problems in private rented accommodation. 

This online checker offers tailored information, guidance and signposting from GOV.UK. 

Ending the tenancy

Most private tenants are likely to have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST). This is the most usual type of rental agreement used in residential property letting in England and Wales.

Under an AST your landlord can evict you without a reason but they must follow the correct procedure to do this.

You need to give your landlord one month’s written notice if you wish to end the tenancy. 

Beta This is our beta website, your feedback can help us improve it.