As a landlord you need to know what an energy performance certificate (EPC) is and what the minimum energy efficiency standard is for rental properties.

You can find further help and advice on this page.

What is an energy performance certificate (EPC)

An EPC rates the energy efficiency and environmental impact of your property.  

It is rated on a scale from A to G where A is the most efficient and G the least efficient.

The certificate shows:

  • the running costs for heating, hot water and lighting in the property   
  • a list of recommended energy saving improvements

It is a legal requirement to have a valid EPC when marketing a private rented property for letting or sale. 

If you are unsure whether your property has a valid EPC you can check using the postcode search facility on the website:

Why your tenant needs an EPC

Tenants need to know the energy efficiency of a property before signing a tenancy agreement.

Properties with higher energy efficiencies will be warmer and have lower running costs, leading to longer tenancies and more stable rental income.

Tenants spending less on fuel bills could also help keep down rent arrears.

Get an EPC

If you want to let a property but you do not have a valid EPC, you can get one from an accredited domestic energy assessor.

Find local EPC assessors by using the postcode search facility on the website:

When the assessor visits your property you need to show them evidence of energy efficiency improvements such as building control competition certificates, installation conformity certificates, or date-stamped photos showing wall or floor insulation being installed.

The EPC will include recommendations for improving the energy efficiency of the property.

Minimum energy efficiency standards (MEES)

Landlords of privately rented property in England or Wales must ensure that their properties reach at least an EPC rating of E before granting a new tenancy to new or existing tenants.

You can find guidance for landlords for domestic MEES on GOV.UK.

The regulations set a minimum energy efficiency level for private rented properties that are let on specific types of tenancy agreement and are legally required to have an EPC.

Check the guidance to: 

  • find out if your property is covered by the regulations 
  • when you need to take action to improve your property to EPC E

Exemptions from the MEES

For private rented properties with an EPC rating of F or G, there are a limited number of statutory exemptions.

You can read guidance on PRS exemptions on GOV.UK

Landlords must carry out relevant works of up to £3,500 to bring rented properties up to standard if they do not meet the MEES. Relevant works are those recommended in the property’s EPC.

If the standard cannot be met within the £3,500 cap, landlords must carry out relevant works up to that value before registering an exemption.

The national PRS exemptions register is open to anyone who wishes to search for details of exempt properties.

Landlords must register an exemption if their property with an EPC rating of F or G qualifies.

You will need to:

  • tell them the reason for the exemption 
  • provide evidence of why the exemption applies

Entering false or misleading information on the national PRS exemptions register is an offence that can result in a financial penalty.

Enforcement action may be taken by us if a landlord rents out a property with an EPC rating of F or G without a statutory exemption. 

Improving the energy performance of your property

We encourage landlords to upgrade the energy efficiency of private rented properties to an EPC rating of C. 

This will provide your tenants with warmer, more comfortable homes and reduced fuel bills. This also helps to tackle the climate emergency.

Mortgage lenders can offer preferential mortgage deals on properties with an EPC rating of A to C.

Grants and loans

You can get advice from the Warm and Well service on grant and loan assistance to install energy saving measures for eligible households.

Warm and Well is funded by us and 6 other neighbouring authorities, and managed by the educational charity Severn Wye Energy Agency. It provides free energy efficiency advice for all households in South Gloucestershire.

Read their latest (April 2023) annual report.

You can apply for a loan through Lendology CIC to improve your property with energy efficiency measures and renewable technology installations. Lendology is a community interest company and an ethical lender. They can work with you to identify the best type of loan for your situation.

Further help

The government-endorsed simple energy advice website provides information to landlords about:

  • legal obligations
  • making your property more energy efficient
  • grants and loans

The Energy Saving Trust website has information about making your property more energy efficient.

Trustmark has produced a free guide to retrofitting your home. They also have a search tool to find a specialist retrofit coordinator in your area.

Futureproof is a Bristol based organisation offering a range of services to help homeowners and landlords carry out energy saving home improvements.

Sustainability charity Severn Wye energy agency offers:

They have introduced an Accelerator programme to help landlords wanting to improve the energy efficiency of their properties. It includes a free survey and an action plan to identify the right solutions. They will then guide you through the process of finding suppliers and getting the work done.

Find out more in Severn Wye’s Get ready for retrofit leaflet.

In most cases landlords will have to fund retrofit works (either themselves of through their tenants) – Lendology Loans are an option for these works.

Warm and Well reports

Warm and Well report and data annex Q4 2023-24


Beta This is our beta website