Report fly tipping
Fly tipping is the illegal dumping of waste. It can be dangerous, pollutes land and waterways.
You can report rubbish that has been dumped on roads, pavements and council owned land.
How to report it
Give us as much detail as possible such as:
- the location
- details of what has been dumped
- photo evidence
If you saw the rubbish being dumped tell us:
- the date and time of the incident
- what the fly tippers looked like
- description of any vehicles involved (make, model, colour, signage, vehicle registration)
Do not approach fly tippers or touch the waste as it may be hazardous.
What happens next
We aim to clear dumped rubbish within 3 working days.
We cannot clear rubbish dumped on private land. If the rubbish is on housing association land we will pass the information onto the association.
Fines and legal action
Fly tipping is illegal so dumping waste is a criminal offence.
People who fly tip can be:
- fined up to £50,000
- up to 5 years imprisonment
You could also face the same penalties if:
- you allow someone to fly tip on your land
- a vehicle registered to you is used to fly tip
If you use a waste carrier, check they have a licence to carry waste and are taking it to a licensed site or you could be fined up to £5,000.