A vehicle crossing or dropped kerb is a section of pavement or verge which is sloped to allow access to a property by vehicles from the road. 

The Highways Act 1980 states that vehicles should not be driven over the pavement unless a vehicle crossing is built to prevent damage to the pavement. 

If you would like a vehicle crossing to be installed to access a property you will need our permission. This applies to extensions to existing crossings.

Only contractors who are accredited under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 can install vehicle crossings.

If the vehicle crossing is for 3 or more residential properties or a commercial property you will need to apply for a Section 184 Licence.

Make sure you read our vehicle crossing guidance before you contact us.

You can also view the process diagram

You should consider these factors before you make a request: 

If you cannot expand the sections below, try refreshing your browser.

Driveway space

You need to make sure you have enough space within your property boundary before you request a vehicle crossing.

Vehicles must have enough room to park in front of a property without overhanging any pavements or roads.

The minimum width of a vehicle parking space is 2.4 metres.

The minimum depth is 4.8 metres from the front of your property wall to the back of the carriageway pavement.

Section 2 of our vehicle crossing guidance gives more information on the required dimensions.

You can also view our dimensions diagram.

Planning permission

It is your responsibility to check if planning permission is required for a vehicle crossing before the work starts. 

Planning permission is required for any engineering development that requires changes to site levels.

If the vehicle crossing will involve access on to and from a classified road such as the A420 or the B3036 it will require planning permission.

Planning permission is required to lay traditional impermeable driveways if the driveway is over 5m². 

You may also require planning permission if the property is: 

  • a listed building 
  • in a conservation area 
  • anything other than a single house

If you already have planning permission for your proposed vehicle crossing, please provide the planning reference number in your application.

You can find out how to apply for planning permission for a dropped kerb for a vehicular crossing.

Permission from local highway authority

You may need permission from the Local Highway Authority to support your application.

You will need to apply for a section 184 licence if you are requesting a vehicle crossing that will serve: 

  • a commercial property 
  • three or more residential properties

It is the responsibility of the LHA to maintain vehicle crossings following construction so work must be completed to industry specifications by accredited contractors.

Highway safety

We will not approve a vehicle crossing within 10 metres of a junction on an unclassified road or within 15 metres of a junction on a classified road.

An application for a vehicle crossing is likely to be rejected unless a significant improvement in safety for all highway users can be achieved.

Street furniture and public utilities

You will need our permission if a street light or road sign needs to be moved.

We will make a site inspection to identify the location of existing street furniture and public utilities in relation to the proposed vehicle crossing.

This is to avoid the risks of collision or subsurface damage caused by regular vehicle movements.

If street lighting or utility equipment needs to be moved then you will have to meet the costs.

Trees and verges

Any proposal will be refused if there is a tree on the pavement in front of your property. Vehicle crossings that are located near trees will need to demonstrate engineering solutions to bridge over any tree roots.  

Grass verges help reduce surface water runoff and are beneficial to the local streetscape. Vehicle crossings that affect grass verges will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Land ownership

You will need to contact the landowner and get written permission if:

  • you do not own the land that the proposed vehicle crossing will serve 
  • you will be crossing land that is not part of the adopted highway

You should submit this as evidence in making your application for a crossing. 


Fees are payable to us for inspections, specifications and approval.  

Construction costs and any planning fees will be at your expense. 

Residential property

The fees for a new vehicle crossing for a single private residence are: 

£87.90 for an initial site visit 

£175.50 for specification of works and consents 

The works may be undertaken by a contractor of your choice but must follow our specification. 

Commercial property and multiple residences

The fees for a new vehicle crossing for multiple residences and commercial properties are: 

£1595.50 for approval and licence 

You will need to apply for a section 184 permit. 

This only covers work within the existing public highway. A S38 agreement will be required to dedicate new highway.


How to apply

Once you have read the guidance and you wish to proceed with a formal application call 01454 868004 or visit your local One Stop Shop

Pedestrian dropped kerbs

If you want a dropped kerb for pedestrian access you can find out more on our pedestrian dropped kerb page.

Beta This is our beta website