Order a replacement marriage or civil partnership certificate
Important service changes
You can order a replacement marriage certificate or replacement civil partnership certificate using the application form on this page.
Replacement certificates can only be ordered for events that took place in South Gloucestershire.
You will need to provide the following in writing with your application:
- full name of the person or people
- date of the marriage or civil partnership
- where the event took place, for example the name of the church for a marriage
- a cheque or postal order for £11 made payable to South Gloucestershire Council
- your name, address and contact phone number (these details are necessary)
- a stamped, self-addressed envelope for us to send the replacement certificate back
Download and print application form
If you have access to a printer you can download, print and complete an application form. You can also visit the register office at Kingswood Civic Centre, High Street, Kingswood BS15 9TR to complete an application.
Where to send your application
Send your application to:
South Gloucestershire Register Office
Chief Executive and Corporate Resources Department
PO Box 1953
Tel: 01454 863140
Fees and payment
Each replacement certificate costs £11.
We cannot accept card payments at reception for applications so please bring cash, a cheque or a postal order for the fee.
Not all recent church registers in South Gloucestershire are deposited with us, some remain at the churches. Contact the register office on 01454 863140 to check if we have the entry you need before applying.
We will need the exact date of the wedding and the exact church before we can confirm if we have the entry. Without these details we cannot respond to your request.
Family history research
If you are researching family history, a full range of general register office indexes are available on microfiche at the following locations:
- Birmingham central library
- Bridgend reference and information library
- The British library
- City of Westminster archives centre
- Greater Manchester county record office
- The London Metropolitan Archive
- Plymouth central library
As well as the birth, marriage and death indexes for the whole of England and Wales, indexes for recent events such as the adopted children register, civil partnerships and births, deaths and marriages of British citizens that have been registered overseas are also available.
It is not possible to buy certificates at any of the above locations, although some may provide internet access to the general register office online certificate ordering service.