Change a civil partnership to a civil marriage
Anyone who has a civil partnership, formed in England or Wales, can change this into a civil marriage.
What is involved
There are two possible stages to the ‘conversion’ which is a legal paper process, with the option to have a celebratory ceremony.
Conversion without ceremony
The couple will need to:
- attend an appointment with a superintendent registrar in the register office (this can be at any local authority)
- bring evidence of identity, proof of address and the original civil partnership registration certificate
- sign a declaration to confirm that the couple have not dissolved their civil partnership, and that they both wish to convert their civil partnership into a marriage
- have the conversion registered and a certificate issued
The couple may optionally choose to say the declaration wording aloud to one another before signing the declaration.
Conversion with celebratory ceremony
For couples wishing to hold a celebratory ceremony, the couple will need to:
- attend an appointment in person with a Superintendent Registrar in the register office (this can be at any local authority)
- bring evidence of their identity, proof of address and the original civil partnership registration certificate
A legal declaration will be drawn up for signature at a later date, but not more than one year after the appointment.
A second stage will involve:
- the couple both signing the declaration confirming they have not dissolved their civil partnership, and that they both wish to convert their civil partnership into a marriage – this must be done in front of a Superintendent Registrar (including those taking place in a religious building)
- a ceremony can then be conducted by the Superintendent Registrar at the register office or at an approved premise, or by the minister for the religious building
- after the ceremony the Superintendent Registrar will register the declaration online and a marriage certificate will be posted to the couple
The following are approved non-religious premises within South Gloucestershire where the ceremony can be held.
The South Gloucestershire Register Office
Kingswood Civic Centre
List of approved premises
- Alveston House Hotel, Alveston, BS35 2LA
- Aztec Hotel, Aztec West, Almondsbury, BS32 4TS
- Berwick Lodge, Berwick Drive, Henbury, BS10 7TD
- Bristol Golf Club, Almondsbury, BS10 7TP
- Chipping Sodbury Town Hall, Chipping Sodbury, BS37 6AD
- The Compass Inn, Tormarton, GL9 1JB
- Eastwood Park, Falfield, GL12 8DA
- The Gables Hotel, Falfield, GL12 8DL
- Hamswell House, Hamswell, Bath BA1 9DG
- Henfield Barn, The Hollows, Henfield BS36 2UU
- Hilton Bristol, Woodlands Lane, Bradley Stoke BS32 4JF
- Holiday Inn, Filton, BS16 1QX
- The Kendleshire Golf Club, Henfield Road, Coalpit Heath, BS36 2TG
- Memorial Woodlands, Earthcott Green, Alveston, BS35 3TA
- Mercure Bristol North, The Grange, Winterbourne BS36 1RP
- Old Down Manor, Foxholes Lane, Tockington BS32 4PG
- The Park Hotel, Falfield GL12 8DR
- Poole Court, Poole Court Drive, Yate BS37 5PP
- The Ship Inn, Thornbury Avenue, Alveston, Bristol BS35 3LL
- Thornbury Castle, Thornbury, BS35 1HH
- Thornbury Golf Centre, Bristol Road, Thornbury BS35 3XL
- Tortworth Court Four Pillars Hotel, Tortworth, GL12 8HH
- Tracy Park, Wick, BS30 5RN
The fee for conversion at a register office is £45 plus £11 for each marriage certificate required.
There is an initial fee of £27 payable when the couple attend the appointment to see the Superintendent Registrar and produce their required documents.
For the second stage of the process, there is either:
- a fee for a celebratory ceremony at an approved premise or register office or
- a fee of £91 for the Superintendent Registrar to attend for the signing of the declaration if the ceremony is in a religious building
A celebratory ceremony at the register office costs £210. The register office is available Monday to Friday and can accommodate up to four guests.
Fees for a celebratory ceremony at approved premises are as follows:
- Monday to Thursday £268
- Friday and Saturday £310
- Sunday and Bank Holidays £352
Each marriage certificate costs £11.
Book an appointment
To book an appointment call us on 01454 863140.