Change a civil partnership to a civil marriage
Anyone who has a civil partnership, formed in England or Wales, can change this into a civil marriage.
What is involved
There are two possible stages to the ‘conversion’ which is a legal paper process, with the option to have a celebratory ceremony.
Conversion without ceremony
The couple will need to:
- attend an appointment with a superintendent registrar in the register office (this can be at any local authority)
- bring evidence of identity, proof of address and the original civil partnership registration certificate
- sign a declaration to confirm that the couple have not dissolved their civil partnership, and that they both wish to convert their civil partnership into a marriage
- have the conversion registered and a certificate issued
The couple may optionally choose to say the declaration wording aloud to one another before signing the declaration.
Conversion with celebratory ceremony
For couples wishing to hold a celebratory ceremony, the couple will need to:
- attend an appointment in person with a Superintendent Registrar in the register office (this can be at any local authority)
- bring evidence of their identity, proof of address and the original civil partnership registration certificate
A legal declaration will be drawn up for signature at a later date, but not more than one year after the appointment.
A second stage will involve:
- the couple both signing the declaration confirming they have not dissolved their civil partnership, and that they both wish to convert their civil partnership into a marriage – this must be done in front of a Superintendent Registrar (including those taking place in a religious building)
- a ceremony can then be conducted by the Superintendent Registrar at the register office or at an approved premise, or by the minister for the religious building
- after the ceremony the Superintendent Registrar will register the declaration online and a marriage certificate will be posted to the couple
The following are approved non-religious premises within South Gloucestershire where the ceremony can be held.
The South Gloucestershire Register Office
Kingswood Civic Centre
List of approved premises
- Alveston House Hotel, Alveston, BS35 2LA
- Aztec Hotel, Aztec West, Almondsbury, BS32 4TS
- Berwick Lodge, Berwick Drive, Henbury, BS10 7TD
- Bristol Golf Club, Almondsbury, BS10 7TP
- Chipping Sodbury Town Hall, Chipping Sodbury, BS37 6AD
- The Compass Inn, Tormarton, GL9 1JB
- Eastwood Park, Falfield, GL12 8DA
- The Gables Hotel, Falfield, GL12 8DL
- Hamswell House, Hamswell, Bath BA1 9DG
- Hilton Bristol, Woodlands Lane, Bradley Stoke BS32 4JF
- Holiday Inn, Filton, BS16 1QX
- Memorial Woodlands, Earthcott Green, Alveston, BS35 3TA
- Mercure Bristol North, The Grange, Winterbourne BS36 1RP
- Old Down Manor, Foxholes Lane, Tockington BS32 4PG
- Poole Court, Poole Court Drive, Yate BS37 5PP
- The Ship Inn, Thornbury Avenue, Alveston, Bristol BS35 3LL
- Thornbury Castle, Thornbury, BS35 1HH
- Thornbury Golf Centre, Bristol Road, Thornbury BS35 3XL
- Tortworth Court Four Pillars Hotel, Tortworth, GL12 8HH
- Tracy Park, Wick, BS30 5RN
- Winterbourne Medieval Barn, Church Lane BS36 1SE
The fee for conversion at a register office is £45 plus £11 for each marriage certificate required.
There is an initial fee of £27 payable when the couple attend the appointment to see the Superintendent Registrar and produce their required documents.
For the second stage of the process, there is either:
- a fee for a celebratory ceremony at an approved premise or register office or
- a fee of £91 for the Superintendent Registrar to attend for the signing of the declaration if the ceremony is in a religious building
- Monday to Friday (maximum 2 guests) £241
- Monday to Thursday £310
- Friday and Saturday £357
- Sunday and bank holidays £409
There is a £50 non-refundable non-transferable booking fee required when booking. The remaining balance is due eight weeks before the ceremony.
To book a Conversion to Marriage ceremony contact us on 01454 863140.
Changes to bookings
There is a £32 fee if you change a ceremony date or time after 24 hours of making the booking.
A Late Amendment fee of £53 is charged when the date or time of a ceremony is changed one month or less from original ceremony date (the ceremony must be taking place at the same venue and within one calendar year of the original booking).
Book an appointment
To book an appointment call us on 01454 863140.