Library services and facilities
There are a range of services and facilities on offer at our libraries.
Facilities at the library include:
- free WiFi
- information services
- DVDs for hire (Bradley Stoke, Cadbury Heath, Hanham, Staple Hill and Yate only)
- photocopy – colour and black and white copying available in A4 and A3 during staffed hours
- colour/black and white printer
- language learning packs
- audio books
- books in large print
- learning opportunities
- free internet access with full range of Microsoft software
- newspapers and magazines
- regular and one-off events and activities for all ages
Check our library charges page for prices.
Accessible library services
Our library facilities and services are designed to be accessible to all. We provide a range of services for people who have disability or are housebound.
All of our libraries offer:
- resources in any format (including Braille) can be ordered
- adaptable furniture at all libraries
Home library service
If you are unable to visit your library due to temporary or permanent disability and have no one who can call in for you, simply contact the library and ask about our home library service.
Most libraries have a number of volunteers, themselves regular library users. They will call on you at your home, initially with a member of the library staff to discuss your requirements. The volunteer will then agree with you the frequency of visits and the number of books/discs that you would like.
If you need additional help or information between visits, the library staff will always be happy to help you if you telephone them.
If you would like to use this service or know of someone else who would benefit from it, or if you would like to know how to become a volunteer, contact your local library.
Computers and WiFi
All libraries provide free use of computers and access to the internet. There is a range of software (such as MS Office) available and a free WiFi service.
At busy periods all the computers may be in use, so we advise you to book your session in advance. Call 01454 868006 to book a session in any South Gloucestershire library.
Although access to the internet is filtered and users must agree to our acceptable usage policy, we cannot guarantee that every offensive site is filtered.
If parents have any concerns about their child using the internet we recommend they do not leave them unattended.
All our libraries offer full printing facilities and have a scanner connected to one PC. We advise you to book your session in advance if you wish to use the scanner.
Check our library charges page for printing prices. There is no charge to use the scanner.
All of our libraries offer accessible IT facilities including:
- accessibility tools, including magnifier, text to speech narrator, on-screen keyboard, language options, high contrast
- RNIB Technology for Life service supports blind and partially sighted people in their use of technology, at Yate Library by appointment only. For more information visit the RNIB Technology for Life website or contact the RNIB Technology for Life team by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 0303 123 9999
Library space for hire
The library buildings and computer suites are available to hire for meetings, events or courses outside of opening hours. In addition separate meetings rooms (without computer facilities) are available at Emersons Green, Staple Hill and Yate Libraries.
If you are interested in hiring a library space, in the first instance please check availability with your preferred library.
Borrow a thermal camera
We have purchased thermal imaging cameras which can be borrowed from libraries so you can find out exactly where your home is losing energy. Find out more on our Borrow a thermal camera page.
Visit a UWE Bristol library
You can sign up with UWE Bristol Libraries for free visitor membership to access academic materials for study and research.