You need to let us know if you intend to demolish a building except when it is:

  • an internal part of a building where the building is occupied and it is intended that it should continue to be occupied 
  • a building smaller than 50 cubic metres (external)  
  • a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage that forms part of a larger building
  • an agricultural building unless it forms part of a building with other uses
  • a building in pursuance of an order made under the Housing Act 1957

You must give us at least six weeks notice if you intend to demolish a building over 50 cubic metres. This is a requirement of the Building Act 1984.

You must not start work to demolish a building until either you receive notice from the council or six weeks have elapsed.

A copy of the notice must also be sent to:

  • the occupier of any building adjacent to that being demolished 
  • British Gas, 80 St Mary’s Road, Southampton, SO14 0YR
  • South West Electricity PLC 

Planning consent

You may also need to apply for planning consent, if for example you intend to demolish a listed building or if the building is within a conservation area. You are responsible for checking consent before proceeding.

Beta This is our beta website