Crimes committed against someone because of their disability, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or transgender-identity are hate crimes and should be reported to the police. 

Examples of hate crimes against a person are: 

  • physical attacks like hitting or spitting 
  • verbal abuse or rude gestures 
  • online abuse 
  • inciting others to commit hate crimes 
  • damage to property such as vandalism, graffiti or arson 
  • sending offensive text messages, notes or posters 

You can find further information on the hate crime page of the CPS for GOV.UK. 

Report a hate crime

Contact the police on 999 if you are witnessing a crime in progress or if someone is in immediate danger.

Call the police on 101 if it is not an immediate emergency. 

If you do not want to contact the police directly you can:

If you have reported hate crime on more than one occasion and you feel that not enough action has been taken you can report a community trigger

Support and advice

If you are a victim of hate crime you can contact Stand Against Racism & Inequality (SARI). Specialist advisors will support you even if you do not want to contact the police. 

Contact SARI on: 

phone: 0117 942 0060


Housing association tenants

If you are a housing association tenant you should contact your housing officer to make a hate crime or incident report. 

Bromford Housing Association (formerly Merlin)  

LiveWest Housing Association (formerly Knightstone/Liverty)

Service directory

Read our directory of useful information on local services which has guidance and advice for victims and their friends and families.  

Beta This is our beta website