Fly grazing is the grazing of horses without the permission of the landowner.

It happens when horses are abandoned and put into fields to graze that are not securely fenced or break free of their tether.

This causes distress to animals and danger to residents and road users.

How to report an abandoned or grazing horse

If a horse has been abandoned or is grazing on council owned land, you can report it to us by:

If there is an issue of public safety, call the police on 101 or 999 in an emergency.

For a welfare issue, call the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.

If you are a landowner and horses are on your land, you should seek independent legal advice.

Beta This is our beta website