If you are struggling financially, we are here to help.

You may be entitled to our grants, benefits and other support available.

GOV.UK has links to benefits calculators that you can use to check if you are entitled to receive any extra money.

If you would like to talk to someone and check what support you may be eligible for, visit one of our One Stop Shops or email OSSAppointments@southglos.gov.uk to book an appointment. Our customer care officers will speak to you in confidence.

There is emergency and long term financial support available.

Household support fund

The household support fund is to help people who are struggling to buy food, pay energy and water bills or cover other essential living costs.

We aim to support as many residents as we can who meet the eligibility criteria and need our help the most.

You do not have to be getting benefits to qualify. If you get benefits they will not be affected by a Household Support Fund payment.

To find out more including how to apply visit our household support fund page.

Welfare grant scheme

This scheme can help with basic essentials in a crisis or emergency.

Our welfare grant scheme page has more information.

There are various other grants and support that can help with food and fuel costs. 

Email OSSAppointments@southglos.gov.uk and we will contact you to go through an application.

Back to top

Food support

Support is available to make sure you are getting enough to eat.

Visit the One You South Gloucestershire website getting enough to eat page for information on:

  • emergency food aid and food banks
  • Healthy Start vouchers
  • free school meals

The benefits of applying for free school meals

Applying for free school meals can bring other benefits to your child’s health, wellbeing and learning.

We are currently offering holiday activities and food clubs for children aged 5 to 16 years who live in South Gloucestershire. This is funded by the Department for Education (DfE).

You can find out more on our supporting families in school holidays page.

Housing costs

You can apply for Universal Credit or Housing Benefit if you are struggling to pay your rent.

If you are already receiving Universal Credit or Housing Benefit you can apply for our Discretionary Housing Payment.

Many mortgage providers will help people who are struggling to pay their mortgage. For example, you can ask if you can temporarily stop your mortgage payments. It is best to contact them as soon as you know you may have difficulty making your repayments.

Council tax support

We have advice to help if you are struggling to pay your council tax. You can check if you are eligible for any council tax discounts or exemptions, including council tax reduction.

You can read more on local council tax reduction.

You can also spread your payment instalments out over 12 months instead of the usual 10.
Email CouncilTax@southglos.gov.uk  using the subject title ‘Council Tax instalment amendment’ and include your name, address and billing number in the email.

Back to top

Parents on low incomes

If you have a family to support and you are on a low income, there is a range of benefits and other help available to support you with the costs of everyday living. Visit our financial support for families on low incomes page.

Support from charities

The charities below provide extra ways to get support through grants, gifts, advances and loans.

You may be able to apply for grants and gifts through the following charities: 

For members of the Armed Forces, the Royal British Legion has launched a Cost of Living Grants Programme. You can find out more and how to apply on their website.

You can search for more grants at Turn2Us. 

Other things that can help

Back to top

Beta This is our beta website