Empty properties relief
You do not have to pay business rates on empty buildings for 3 months. After this time most businesses must pay full business rates.
Who can get extended property relief
Some properties can get extended empty property relief. This includes:
- industrial premises are exempt for a further 3 months (for example warehouses)
- listed buildings until they are reoccupied
- buildings with a rateable value under £2,900 until they are reoccupied
- properties owned by charities – only if the property’s next use will be mostly for charitable purposes
- community amateur sports clubs buildings – only if the next use will be mostly as a sports club
How to tell us your property is empty
You can tell us when your business property becomes vacant by:
Make sure to include the date that the property become completely empty and to quote your billing number on all correspondence.