Who needs a premises licence

You need a premises licence to:

  • sell alcohol 
  • provide hot food or hot drink between 11pm and 5am 

You will also need a licence if you provide the following types of entertainment: 

  • theatrical performance 
  • showing a film 
  • indoor sporting event 
  • boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor) 
  • live music 
  • recorded music 
  • dance performances 

You will still need a licence if the activities are for charity.  


To apply, submit a new premises licence application on the GOV.UK website.  

Additional formats of the form are also available on the GOV.UK website. 

You can also post your application to us at: Department for Place, Licensing Service, PO Box 1954, Bristol, BS37 0DD. 

A premises licence is valid for the life of the business.


You need to pay an annual fee on the anniversary date of the licence being granted. 

For fees, use our fees and charges information.   

Submit a review

A responsible authority or any other person may apply for a review of a licence or certificate that is in force. 

Only applications that relate to one or more of the four licensing objectives can be considered for review: 

  • the prevention of crime and disorder 
  • public safety 
  • the prevention of public nuisance 
  • the protection of children from harm 

Step 1: Download the review of a premises licence or club premises certificate form

Step 2: Complete the form and email it to licensing@southglos.gov.uk

Beta This is our beta website, your feedback can help us improve it.