Online services for planning, building control and licensing applications will be unavailable Monday 4 December and Tuesday 5 December due to essential maintenance.

Who needs a personal licence

You must have a personal licence: 

  • to sell or supply alcohol at a licensed premises 
  • if you are the designated premises supervisor at a licensed premises 

A designated premises supervisor is the person who has day to day responsibility for running the business. 

Premises selling alcohol require two licences – one for the premises and one for the designated premises supervisor. 

What you will need to apply for a licence

Applicants need the following to apply for a personal licence:  

  • be aged 18 years old or over 
  • possess an alcohol licensing qualification 
  • a completed disclosure of convictions and civil penalties form 
  • document(s) showing your right to work within the UK 
  • two photographs of the applicant 
  • a basic check Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate dated within 28 days of submitting your application 

Right to work and immigration status

To hold a personal licence, you must live in the UK. You must also provide proof that you:  

  • have a right to work in the UK 
  • have no conditions that stop you doing the licensed activity 

How to apply

Step 1: Download the personal licence application from the GOV.UK website.

Step 2: Applications can be submitted:

  • in person to: Licensing Office 1, Broad Lane, Engine Common Lane, Yate, South Gloucestershire, BS37 7PN. Original documentation is required
  • by post to: Department for Place, Licensing Service, PO Box 1954, Bristol, BS37 0DD 

Step 3: Payment can be made via cheque if sending by post, or we can call for payment upon receipt. For hand delivered applications, payment can be made by cheque or card.


For fees, use our fees and charges information.

Using and updating your licence

Once a licence is approved, you can use it anywhere in England or Wales, including new work locations.  

Personal licences do not expire unless they are surrendered, suspended or revoked.

If you change name or address, you are required to notify us.  

Beta This is our beta website