Apply for a club premises certificate
Who needs a club premises certificate
You may need to apply for a club premises certificate if you are a social, sporting or political members club.
You need a certificate to:
- sell or supply alcohol to members or guests of members
- provide regulated entertainment, like musical performances or film screenings to members or guests of members
What the certificate allows
If your club holds a club premises certificate:
- it may be able to sell alcohol to members and guests without the need for any member or employee to hold a personal licence – depending on what the conditions of the certificate allows
- it does not need to specify a Designated Premises Supervisor
- police and licensing officers have more limited rights of entry because the premises are private
To qualify for a certificate, your club must make sure that:
- it has premises that are occupied and used regularly for club purposes
- alcohol and entertainment are only provided to members and their guests
- only someone 18 or older who is nominated by the club can serve alcohol or buy it for the club
- there is no arrangement for anyone to benefit financially from buying or selling alcohol
- new members wait two days from their application before getting membership privileges
- it is established and conducted in good faith
- it has at least 25 members
You can apply for a club premises certificate by using our online form.
A club premises certificate is valid for the life of business.
Change or transfer a club premises certificate
To change the conditions or transfer an existing club premises certificate, use one of the online forms below.
You will need to request your existing licence reference number from us to use these forms. You can do this by sending an email to email@example.com.
- make a change to an existing certificate
- make a minor change to an existing certificate
- transfer a certificate (to be completed by the new certificate holder)
You need to pay an annual fee on the anniversary date of the certificate being granted.
For fees, use our fees and charges information.
Submit a review
Anyone may apply for a review of a licence or certificate that is in force.
Step 1: Download the review of a premises licence or club premises certificate application.
Step 2: Complete the form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only reviews that relate to one or more of the 4 licensing objectives can be considered:
- the prevention of crime and disorder
- public safety
- the prevention of public nuisance
- the protection of children from harm