Residential travel plans
A residential travel plan is a package of measures that helps to reduce vehicle journeys from new housing developments.
They do this by encouraging residents to use active and sustainable travel for their journeys.
Around Your Way
We create residential travel plans in association with Travelwest in an initiative called Around Your Way.
It supports individuals moving into new properties as this is when travel patterns have been found to be re-established.
The initiative is bespoke to each development and is dependent on available funding. It can include:
- developer contributions through the planning application process
- working in partnership with transport behaviour change programmes funded by the Department for Transport (DfT) such as Access West and the Capability Fund,
- working with our other relevant teams such as road safety
Depending on funding and availability the support we provide can include:
- discover guides providing information on local walking and cycling routes, public transport facilities, as well as local amenities such as shops, parks and community facilities
- on-site travel services and events, such as bike servicing and marking days, adult cycle training or sustainable travel events
- resident travel surveys and/or automatic traffic counters to monitor the effectiveness of the travel plan
- a range of free offers to support and encourage the uptake of active and sustainable travel modes including bike loans, bus taster tickets, adult cycle training and personalised travel planning
- free travel offers for all residents provided by DfT funded programmes – you can find these on Travelwest’s offers page
- some new developments are also given Smarter Travel Vouchers where residents can purchase items that will support their choice of active or sustainable travel, we then reimburse the cost of the item up to the value of the voucher
New housing developments
We have been appointed by several developers to deliver residential travel plans on their behalf for new housing developments in South Gloucestershire.
You can find Travelwest’s information on the travel plans being delivered in these developments:
- Abbotscroft, Hanham
- Blackberry Park, Coalpit Heath
- Charfield Gardens, Charfield
- Lyde Green
- Morton Meadows, Thornbury
- North Yate New Neighbourhood, Yate
- Saxon Gate, Wickwar
- The Orchards, Thornbury
- Thornbury Fields, Thornbury
The Department for Transport has recognised our residential travel planning in their transport in rural areas local authority toolkit under new development.
We also monitor other travel plan coordinators in our area to make sure that travel plans are being delivered efficiently and effectively.
For more information about a travel plan relating to a planning application email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For general information about travel plans or to find out more about how we can support your organisation email email@example.com.