We are working with the local community, businesses and investors on a masterplan to shape the future of Kingswood town centre for the next 15 to 20 years and beyond.
The aim of the masterplan is to set a framework for future change and a shared vision to make Kingswood ‘a great place to shop, work, live, visit and enjoy’.
About the masterplan
The masterplan will help shape the future of the town centre to balance needs, opportunities and pressures for change into a clear strategy.
It’s not a rigid plan for development, but it will set out which individual projects can be co-ordinated in a complementary way.
It puts sustainable urban lifestyles, where daily necessities such as work, schools, shops and parks are within easy reach on foot or bike, at its core and strengthens the identity of Kingswood through its rich history.
The purpose of the masterplan is to:
- establish a shared vision for the area
- co-ordinate and integrate investment
- raise ambitions and engage stakeholders
- maintain a distinctive and high quality network of streets, spaces and mixed use development
- provide a resilient and adaptable low carbon and sustainable environment
The Kingswood Masterplan will aim to further develop key issues in the Local Plan including the need to diversify our town centres, build strong local economies and respond to the climate emergency.
It will also help rebuild social wellbeing after coronavirus.
What it means
The masterplan vision is based on 4 key themes to:
- strengthen the cultural and historic heart
- enhance and connect green spaces
- provide a mixed commercial area
- create opportunities for urban living
Key initiatives include:
- pedestrianising Regent Street (East)
- restoring the Tabernacle
- enhancing Kingswood Park
- better signage and accessibility
- focusing on Kings Chase shopping centre
- improving residential developments, streets and public spaces
Engagement and consultation
Residents, businesses, visitors, and key stakeholders gave their opinions on the draft masterplan vision and focus areas. The feedback helped to finalise the masterplan.
You can view the engagement and consultation documents, the consultation report and an equalities impact assessment on our consultation page.
We held a 12-week engagement period from July to October 2021 to share our initial vision and ideas for Kingswood.
The masterplan was published in May 2022.
You can view the masterplan below:
- Kingswood Masterplan landscape presentation version – less compatible for mobile devices
We will engage with residents and businesses in Kingswood and update this page as projects happen.
Stay up to date
You can also keep up to date by signing up to our consultations.