If you want to occupy or open part of a road (carriageway, footpath or cycle path), you need to apply for a relevant licence.

You will need a licence to:

  • put a skip on the road
  • occupy the road for building works
  • put a structure over the road

Types of licence

Allow 5 working days for us to process your application. We will begin when we have received all of the relevant information.

Make sure you include a site location plan in your application. This should show your equipment in relation to the property in a visual plan (photo, drawing or screenshot).

You should read the relevant conditions for the type of licence you need before completing the application form.


Skips should be placed on property boundaries where possible.

If a skip needs to be put on a public road, you will need a licence. You can:

If a skip is put on private land no licence is needed.

Occupy the road for building work

Occupying the road for building work includes occupying the road with cranes, cherry pickers, building materials, scaffolding, hoarding, portacabins and huts.

You can:

Place a structure over a road

Placing a structure over or under a road includes bridges, canopies, banners, wires and signs.

You can:

Road opening licence

Any works on a public road need to the approval of the highway authority. You can find more information on our Section 50 licences page.


You can find information on the fee for each type of licence on the application forms.

If we turn down your application because the proposed site is potentially hazardous, then the fee is not refundable.

Beta This is our beta website, your feedback can help us improve it.