Anybody can experience domestic abuse but nobody should. Get help if you or someone you know is living with domestic abuse. 

You can click the leave this page links below to go to the BBC website.

Call 999 in an emergency or if anyone is at risk of immediate harm.

You will be connected to a phone operator who will ask which service you need. 

If you are afraid to speak you can cough or tap the handset and the operator will connect you to the Silent Solution which will transfer to a police call handler. 

The non-emergency number for Avon and Somerset Police is 101. 

How to report any concerns

If you are worried about a family member, friend or someone in your community at experiencing domestic abuse call us as soon as possible to discuss your concerns.

If you are concerned about the safety of an adult you can call us on: 

If you are concerned about the safety of a child you can call us on: 

What is domestic abuse

If anyone aged 16 or over behaves abusively to another person they have an intimate or family relationship with then this is defined as domestic abuse.  

There might be a single incident or repeated incidents including: 

  • physical or sexual abuse 
  • violent or threatening behaviour 
  • controlling or coercive behaviour
  • financial abuse 
  • psychological, emotional or other abuse

Anyone forced to change their behaviour because they are frightened of someone’s reaction is being abused.

Under the 2021 Domestic Abuse Act children are now viewed as victims of domestic abuse if the abuse is happening between their parents or carers.

Get support

If you are living with domestic abuse it can be hard to ask for help. It is important to know: 

  • it is not your fault 
  • you are not alone 
  • there are specialist services and support available to help you

Next Link South Glos provides support services for people who have experienced domestic or sexual abuse.  

They also provide safe house accommodation if you need to leave your home in an emergency, 

Next Link helplines are open 8.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday and 9.30am to 1pm Saturday.  

Phone: 0800 4700 280 


Help is also available 24 hours a day from the National Domestic Abuse helpline 

For a list of organisations and specialist services that can give support and advice visit our information advice and guidance pages on domestic abuse and housing

Places to go for help

Our libraries are safe places where anyone can go.

You can ask a staff member for help or you can sign up for free to use library computers to find information and support. 

You can also visit us at a One Stop Shop to ask about specialist advice. 

A police enquiry desk is open at Kingswood Civic Centre Monday to Wednesday 8.45am to 5pm. 

Further information

You can read our domestic violence and abuse strategy to find out how we will meet the challenges posed by domestic abuse in our area.

Other information and resources are available on our pages for Safeguarding Children and Safeguarding Adults

Beta This is our beta website