Charfield train station
We are developing plans for a new train station in Charfield to help people travel more sustainably.
About this project
The West of England Combined Authority are funding the first planning stages of this project.
Subject to additional funding and planning consent, the location for the Charfield train station will be in the centre of the village (off Station Road) within a 10 minute walk for all Charfield residents.
We are working with Network Rail on a design for the station.
The project will include any related highways work (for example pedestrian crossings) and parking.
What it means
With a train station in Charfield we aim to:
- improve access to the rail network, jobs, education and a range of services and facilities
- have at least one train every hour in each direction
- help reduce congestion on key roads by encouraging rail travel
- have a more resilient transport network with shorter, more reliable journey times
- support the recovery of the wider economy
- help the council and the combined authority achieve carbon neutrality by 2030
- improve transport links to Bristol North Fringe, Bristol City Centre, Filton Enterprise Area, Temple Quay Enterprise Zone, Yate and Gloucester
- support new jobs and housing in the area with sustainable travel
- improve opportunities and quality of life in the area
Proposed design for the station
- north and southbound platforms including seating and shelters
- a connecting pedestrian footbridge with stairs and lifts
- ticket machines and real-time information for passengers
- covered cycle parking
- a bus stop
- car parking (including disabled bays, electric vehicle charging points, taxi and waiting area)
- local highway improvements including additional pedestrian crossings
You can view the outline business case, which has been submitted to the West of England Combined Authority.
Have your say
Public consultation on the proposals take place this autumn, which will include drop-in events for you to find out more.
The drop-in events are on:
- Monday 8 November 3pm to 7pm at Wotton Town Hall, Market Street, Wotton-under-Edge
- Wednesday 10 November 2pm to 5.30pm at Charfield Memorial Hall, Wotton Road, Charfield
- Saturday 13 November 10.30am to 2.30pm at Charfield Memorial Hall, Wotton Road, Charfield
The 12 week consultation started on 19 October 2021 and closes on 10 January 2022.
You can take part in the consultation online.
Paper copies of the response form are also available at Kingswood One Stop Shop (High Street, Kingswood, Bristol, BS15 9TR).
A planning application is expected to be submitted next year, which will give you another chance to have your say.
- December 2020 – strategic outline business case approved
- July 2021 – Network Rail preliminary design completed
- September 2021 – outline business case submitted
- October 2021 – outline business case decision
- October 2021 – pre-application public consultation starts
- April 2022 – planning application submitted
- December 2022 – full business case submitted
- 2023 – construction starts
- End of 2024 – station opens and services begin
These dates are approximate and subject to change.