Charfield train station
We are developing plans for a new train station in Charfield to help people travel more sustainably.
About this project
The West of England Combined Authority are funding the first planning stages of this project.
Subject to additional funding and planning consent, the location for the Charfield train station will be in the centre of the village (off Station Road) within a 10 minute walk for all Charfield residents.
We are working with Network Rail on a design for the station.
The project will include any related highways work (for example pedestrian crossings) and parking.
What it means
With a train station in Charfield we aim to:
- improve access to the rail network, jobs, education and a range of services and facilities
- have at least one train every hour in each direction
- help reduce congestion on key roads by encouraging rail travel
- have a more resilient transport network with shorter, more reliable journey times
- support the recovery of the wider economy
- help the council and the combined authority achieve carbon neutrality by 2030
- improve transport links to Bristol North Fringe, Bristol City Centre, Filton Enterprise Area, Temple Quay Enterprise Zone, Yate and Gloucester
- support new jobs and housing in the area with sustainable travel
- improve opportunities and quality of life in the area
Proposed design for the station
- north and southbound platforms including seating and shelters
- a connecting pedestrian footbridge with stairs and lifts
- ticket machines and real-time information for passengers
- covered cycle parking
- a bus stop
- car parking (including disabled bays, electric vehicle charging points, taxi and waiting area)
- local highway improvements including additional pedestrian crossings
You can view the outline business case, which has been submitted to the West of England Combined Authority.
You can also view a map of where the station is planned to be located.
Have your say
A 12-week public consultation on the proposals was held between 19 October 2021 and 10 January 2022.
This consultation is now closed but you can still view the consultation documents.
The results of the consultation are available in the Charfield Station Public Consultation report.
- December 2020 – strategic outline business case approved
- July 2021 – Network Rail preliminary design completed
- September 2021 – outline business case submitted
- October 2021 to January 2022 – pre-application public consultation period
- December 2021 – outline business case approved and funding agreed for next phase
- September 2022 – planning application submitted
- March 2023 – planning application approved
- Summer 2024 – full business case and a request for funding to construct the station submitted to the West of England Combined Authority and government departments
- early 2025 – full business case approval
- 2025 to 2027 – construction phase
- Spring 2027 – target date for station opening
As work progresses on the designs and full business case, we will provide more detail on the programme. These dates may be subject to change.
Plans for a train station in Charfield have been given planning permission.
A planning application, submitted by South Gloucestershire Council and Network Rail, for a station, car park and highways improvements has been approved by the Local Planning Authority.
The station will be built on land off Station Road in the centre of the village. It will include two platforms serving north and southbound journeys, a pedestrian footbridge, a bus stop, covered cycle parking, and car parking.
The station will improve access to jobs, further and higher education and a wider variety of services and facilities. It will also help to mitigate some of the impacts of recent permitted development in the area.
Now planning permission has been secured work will progress on detailed designs for the station and highways improvements. Once these are complete a full business case and a request for funding will be submitted to the West of England Combined Authority.
A new project programme will be shared later in the year.
A planning application has been submitted for a train station in Charfield.
The project team has submitted a planning application for the new station to the Local Planning Authority.
The proposed station, to be built on land off Station Road in the centre of the village, will include two platforms serving north and southbound journeys, a pedestrian footbridge, a bus stop, covered cycle parking, and car parking.
The planning application, which has been submitted jointly with Network Rail, also includes proposals for local highway improvements to enhance access to and from the station and car parking.
The Local Planning Authority, which will decide the application, has launched a public consultation, providing an opportunity for people to comment on the application.
You can view and comment on the application. Go to www.southglos.gov.uk/planning-applications and search application number P22/05778/R3F.
If you cannot expand the sections above, try refreshing your browser.