Wheelchair accessible vehicles
If someone hires you for a designated hackney carriage (taxi) or private hire vehicle as a wheelchair user, you should:
- carry the passenger while in their wheelchair
- not make any additional charge for doing so
- carry the wheelchair if the passenger chooses to sit in a passenger seat
- take necessary steps to make sure that the passenger is carried in safety and reasonable comfort
- give the passenger mobility assistance as is reasonably required
This is in line with the Equality Act 2010, section 165.
Mobility assistance includes helping the passenger to:
- get into and out of the vehicle
- get into and out of the vehicle while in the wheelchair if they want to stay in their wheelchair
- load their wheelchair into and out of the vehicle if they do not want to stay in their wheelchair
- load their luggage into and out of the vehicle
It is an offence if you do not comply with these duties.
Find a wheelchair accessible vehicle
We hold records of current designated wheelchair accessible vehicles. You can request a list of these by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01454 868001.
We can give licence holder contact details to you if they have given us consent under data protection requirements.