Apply for or renew a private hire operator’s licence
If you want to operate a private hire service in South Gloucestershire you must apply to us for a private hire operator’s licence. This is to make sure the public are kept safe.
What we consider
All applications to grant or renew a private hire operator licence are decided in the same way as a driver by assessing whether you are a ‘fit and proper’ person.
There is no legally approved test to assess if you are a fit and proper person. However, when deciding this we will consider things including your:
- skills, knowledge and experience
- medical fitness
- criminal record
- previous history as a licence holder
You can find out which cautions and convictions we consider when looking at your criminal record in Appendix A of our taxi and private hire policy.
How to apply
You will need:
- the licence application fee
- Public Liability Insurance (if the operating premise is open to the public)
- Employers Liability Insurance (attach a copy to your email to us if you have this)
- your Basic Disclosure and Barring Service certificate (non-licensed drivers only)
- your proof of right to work in the UK
You will also need your previous private hire operator’s licence if you are applying to renew your licence.
From 4 April 2022 you must complete a tax check when applying to renew your licence. Find out more on our licence information webpage.