When you start a new food business or take over an existing business, you must register with us.  

It is free to register.

You should do this at least 28 days before trading or before food operations start. If you are already trading and have not registered, you need to do this as soon as possible. 

You must register your new food business at GOV.UK. 

Who needs to register 

A food business is anyone preparing, cooking, storing, handling, distributing, supplying or selling food. 

Registration applies to: 

  • restaurants, cafes and take-aways 
  • catering businesses run from home, mobile catering and temporary businesses 
  • food stalls, food pop ups and food vans 
  • distance selling, mail order and food delivery 
  • nurseries 
  • companies involved with food distribution  

Beta This is our beta website, your feedback can help us improve it.