Tax check

From 4 April 2022 you must complete a tax check when applying to renew your taxi and private hire driver licence in England and Wales.

If a tax check is not completed, we will be unable to consider your application and your current licence will expire.

The information below from GOV.UK can help you with your tax check:

EU driving licences

If your driving licence is issued by an EU country, it is recognised throughout the EU. In most circumstances you will not have to exchange your licence.

If you have an EU driving licence that was issued in exchange for a non EU licence, and you wish to move to another EU country with your converted licence, your new licence may not be recognised there. This is decided by each EU country.


If you are a Chilean who moved to Spain a few years ago, you can exchange your licence for a Spanish one as Spain recognises Chilean driving licences.

With this new licence, you can drive around the EU. However, if you move from Spain to another EU country, you will have to check that the authorities there recognise your Spanish licence.

If the new country recognises the original Chilean licence automatically, you can continue driving with your converted Spanish licence. If not, you may need to have your Chilean licence formally recognised or exchanged in the new country.

You can find out more about using your EU driving licence on GOV.UK:

Beta This is our beta website