Street trading is defined as the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street.  

Traders who use areas open to the public, such as roads, footways, beaches or open spaces to sell goods or services, must have street trading consent. 

How to apply

You will need to request an appointment to come into our Broad Lane offices and apply for street trading consent.

To do this you should send an email to

Application process 

When we receive your application, various agencies will be consulted. These include: 

  • Highways Authority 
  • Avon and Somerset Constabulary 
  • Home Office 
  • Avon Fire Brigade 
  • South Gloucestershire Council ward members 
  • internal council departments 
  • the appropriate parish or town council 
  • the land owner – if the site is on private land 
  • property occupiers within 100 metres of the proposed site 

If any objections are received, the application will be referred to a Council Licensing Sub Committee. If not, we will issue you with consent.


The consent will last for one year, unless surrendered or revoked.  

For fees, use our fees and charges information.

Beta This is our beta website