You must apply for a house-to-house collection licence if you want to collect money or goods from people’s homes for a charity or charitable purpose. 

This licence also allows you to collect from pubs but you may need permission from the landlord. 

Check the list of exempt charities on GOV.UK to see if your charity does not need to a permit. 


You should apply 20 working days before your charitable collection. 

To apply for a house-to-house collection licence, complete the application on GOV.UK.  

Submit the application online or post your application to: Department for Place, Licensing Service, PO Box 1954, Bristol, BS37 0DD.

The street collection permit is free. 

Submit details of your collection

One month after the collection has taken place, you must tell us how much you have collected. This statement shall be certified by the chief promoter of the collection and by an independent responsible person as auditor.

You can be fined up to £1000 or be liable for up to six months imprisonment if you do not have a licence. Any person found to be collecting without a licence can be fined up to £200.

Beta This is our beta website