Enterprise Avonmouth and Severnside
Large-scale industrial, warehousing, distribution, energy and waste processing
The Avonmouth Severnside area straddles the local authority areas of Bristol and South Gloucestershire (Avonmouth is Bristol, Severnside is South Gloucestershire).
Covering some 1,800 hectares (almost 4,500 acres) of land along the River Severn estuary and incorporating Avonmouth & Portbury Docks.
The benefits of this location include:
- Bristol Airport is a 30-minute drive away
- the area is adjacent to the M4 and M5 major motorway networks
- the new M49 junction is currently being built to improve access to the area
- greater connectivity across the region is being supported by MetroWest and Mass Transit. The early stages of these projects will improve transport services between Bristol Temple Meads train station and Severn Beach
The three largest employment sectors in Severnside are:
- transport and storage
These reflect the area’s attractiveness for large-scale industrial, warehousing, distribution, energy and waste processing uses, in addition to the activities of the port and its storage and distribution facilities and associated industries.
- 85% of the UK live within a 4.5-hour HGV journey
- 45 million people live within a 300-kilometre radius
- suitable for warehousing, distribution, industrial and environmental technologies
- of the 1,800 hectare area, approximately 650 hectares of which is in South Gloucestershire, a large proportion has planning consent that could enable rapid development – primarily for distribution and industrial uses
- features the UK’s most centrally located deep sea port
- 17 kilometres of flood defences being built along the coastline to future proof the area