Business, education and leisure signs
We can put up road signs on request to direct visitors to a business, tourist, leisure or educational establishment.
All signs must comply with the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016.
If you would like a sign put up on a motorway or trunk road you should contact National Highways on 0300 123 5000.
Why signage is limited
We limit signs as too many can be cluttered and confusing for road users and might affect important safety messages.
Reducing sign clutter improves the streetscape, minimises the environmental impact and reduces maintenance costs.
Our signage policy
We have a policy to assess businesses or attractions that may be eligible for direction signs. Your business may be eligible if it:
- is open at least 4 hours a day for 150 days a year
- is outside a main town centre
- is a permanent establishment
- is open to the casual passing visitor
- has adequate parking facilities
You must be prepared to pay for the full costs of any signs and their installation.
Your application will be judged against a range of eligibility criteria as well as against road safety and traffic management factors.
How to apply
All applicants should read our guidance before you apply.
To apply online you will need to:
- download and complete an application form (including supporting information as needed)
- email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- pay a non-refundable fee of £216.50 using our pay for it page
The £216.50 fee to cover administration cost is non-refundable whether your application is successful or not.