Online planning, building control and licensing services will be unavailable 24 – 26 November due to a system upgrade.
Some of our online services will also be unavailable on 24 November due to essential maintenance.

Sort It centre closures for weekends 21-22 and 28-29 November.

The UK has left the EU, and the transition period comes to an end on 31 December 2020.

The transition period

Since 31 January 2020 there has been a transition period which lasts until the end of 2020, while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements.

The current rules on trade, travel, and business for the UK and EU continue to apply during the transition period.

Visit to find out what actions you, your family or your business can take now to prepare for 2021.

For a complete list of actions answer a few questions about you, your family or business.

How South Gloucestershire Council is preparing for UK Transition

Our lead Transition Officer is meeting regularly with key officers from all areas of the organisation to ensure we are taking the necessary steps to prepare locally for the end of the transition period. 

We are also working with our neighbouring local authorities and other external partners in the multi-agency civil contingencies forum (Avon and Somerset Local Resilience Forum) to understand and react to the challenges and opportunities posed by UK and EU transition for our area.

Changes for citizens

Travelling to the EU

Check what you need to do to travel to Europe from 2021

Continue living and working in the EU

Living and working in an EU country depends on the rules in that country.

You may need to register or apply for residency. You should check that you’re covered for healthcare.

You may also need to exchange your UK driving licence for a licence issued by the EU country where you live.

Check what you must do in the country where you live

Staying in the UK if you’re an EU citizen

Check if you need to apply to the settlement scheme if you or your family are from the EU, or from Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

Check what you need to do to stay in the UK

Changes for businesses

The UK has left the EU and is leaving the EU single market and customs union. The end of the transition period will affect businesses that deal with Europe and you should take action now to prepare for guaranteed changes and new rules from 1 January 2021.

Businesses that import and export goods

From 1 January 2021 the process for importing and exporting goods will change. Find out what you need to do to continue to:

To support business preparations the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy is hosting free webinars to help you check the new rules and understand the actions to take. You can register to attend a live webinar which will provide information on key actions for businesses in these sectors or view the webinars on demand.

Other useful sources of information for businesses

Beta This is our beta website, your feedback can help us improve it.