Coronavirus (Covid-19): service updates, support and health advice.

The government has a Test and Trace Support scheme.

Payments of £500 will be given to eligible low-income workers in South Gloucestershire who have been asked to self-isolate, are unable to work from home and will lose income.

The scheme will run until 31 March 2022. It follows the new laws requiring all those who test positive for Covid-19 (coronavirus), or those identified as ‘close contacts’ to self-isolate.

Any payment under the Test and Trace Support scheme is given on the understanding that you fully comply with any request to self-isolate.

Who is eligible?

You do not need to self-isolate if you are fully vaccinated. You will not be eligible for this payment if you decide to self-isolate anyway.

You still need to self-isolate if you have symptoms of coronavirus or have tested positive, even if you have been fully vaccinated.

Eligibility for this scheme is restricted. You must meet all the following requirements to apply:

  • have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or the NHS COVID-19 app because you have tested positive for COVID-19; or
  • have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or the NHS COVID-19 app because you have been identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive, and you are not fully vaccinated.
  • must be employed or self-employed (but not furloughed) and unable to work from home

And either you or your partner (living in the same house) must be getting one of these benefits:

  • universal credit
  • working tax credit
  • income based employment and support allowance
  • income based jobseeker’s allowance
  • income support
  • housing benefit
  • pension creditNo

Parents or Guardians

A parent or guardian of a young person who has to self-isolate may be eligible for a payment if they live in England and meet the following criteria (even if they are fully vaccinated):

  • they are the parent or guardian of a young person in the same household who is self-isolating and need to take time off work to care for them
  • they are unable to work from home and will lose income
  • the young person has:
    • tested positive for coronavirus and is aged 15 or under, or aged 25 or under with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP); or
    • been identified as a close contact of someone with coronavirus (by NHS Test and Trace, their education or care setting or the NHS COVID-19 app), is aged 18-25, is not fully vaccinated and has an EHCP
  • the young person normally attends an education or care setting
  • the parent or guardian meets all the other criteria for a payment

You can only make one application per child or young person per household.

We will ask to see evidence that your child or young person has been told to self-isolate.

Before you apply

To assess your application, we need to see:

  • a notification from NHS Test and Trace with a unique ID number (e.g. 4a2c204a) asking you to self-isolate or an official notification from your child or young person’s educational or childcare provider
  • a recent bank statement for your bank account. This must be the account you would like the money paid into
  • proof of employment from an employer (this can be your bank statement)
  • evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income and proof that your business cannot be done without social contact if you are self-employed

How to apply

You must make your application within 42 days of your first day of self-isolation.

You can call us on 01454 434087 (Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm) if you are unable to apply online.

We will call you back within one working day if you leave a message.

You should have the supporting evidence available when you submit your application. If you are unable to do this, you can email the evidence to

How we will pay you

We will email you the result of your application as soon as possible.

We aim to make a payment within 3 working days of receiving your application and supporting evidence.

This will be made into your bank account.

If you are self-employed you will need to declare the payment on your self-assessment tax return.

Who is not eligible?

You are not eligible for a test and trace support payment if you:

  • have not been contacted by NHS Test and Trace and told to self-isolate
  • cannot give us an official notification from a school, college or childcare setting if you are applying as a parent or guardian
  • are not losing income because you are self-isolating
  • can work from home while self-isolating
  • are not on a low income
  • were not working immediately before being asked to self-isolate or needing to stop work to look after a child or a young person with an EHCP
  • are quarantining because you have returned from abroad (unless you have tested positive for coronavirus and have been asked to self-isolate)

Discretionary payments

You may be eligible for a discretionary payment if you or your partner do not receive any of the qualifying benefits.

You will need to meet all of the other eligibility criteria and:

  • be responsible for paying rent or mortgage on the property that you are living in
  • have combined capital of less than £6000
  • have a combined income of less than £350 per week (averaged over the last month)

If you still do not meet the criteria, you can read our financial support for residents page to find out about other help.

Can I appeal the decision?

There is no right of appeal. We will only refuse the payment to people who do not meet the criteria.

We will work with you to help your application to be successful if you are eligible.

If you are not eligible, we will direct you to other support if we can.

Any award under the Test and Trace Support payment scheme is given on the understanding that you fully comply with any request to self-isolate.


You can be prosecuted if you have manipulated or falsified your situation so that you can get a payment. This includes not self-isolating when you have been told to.

We may recover any payment given to you in error or because of fraud.

The Government is supporting local councils to make the necessary checks to ensure payments can be verified and have been made correctly.

Data Sharing

We need consent to access your records in the NHS Test and Trace system. This is to confirm that you are eligible for the Test and Trace Payment Scheme.

You can find more information in the NHS Test and Trace Privacy Notice.

We may check your employment status with:

  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
  • Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
  • your employer

We will not share your data with other organisations or individuals outside of the council for any other purpose.

You should also read our enhanced privacy policy relating to applications for self-isolation payment due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Freedom of Information

Through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) 2000 we are asked for information in respect of Test and Trace support payments.

We are able to publish the data under the Data Protection Act (DPA) 2018.

Beta This is our beta website, your feedback can help us improve it.