About Shop South Glos
We have joined forces with local traders to encourage you to shop local, stay safe and support our wonderful high streets get back on their feet.
Our new ‘Help us thrive: Shop South Glos’ campaign highlights the best of what high streets across the area have to offer, whether shopping safely at the impressive choice of independent shops, visiting a local park or exploring a nearby attraction.
By shopping locally, you can do your bit to help local business owners and local communities thrive. Measures are in place to keep you safe.
The ‘Help us thrive: Shop South Glos’ campaign is funded through the government’s ‘Reopening High Streets Safely’ fund.
Your safety is our priority. To ensure you can enjoy our high streets safely, we are working with traders to protect you from Covid-19. We’re:
- making more space for social distancing on pavements and streets
- relaxing licensing regulations, to make it easier for pubs, cafes and restaurants to install outside seating areas
- making it easier to walk and cycle in and around town centres, freeing up space from traffic.
High street traders are putting in safety measures, including:
- providing hand sanitiser gel
- putting up perspex barriers
- taking contact details, if they are pubs and restaurants, to trace people in the event of a Covid-19 case.
Do your bit by wearing a face covering which must be worn (unless you are exempt) in enclosed public spaces in England, including shops, supermarkets, shopping centres, banks, building societies and post offices, as well as on public transport.
Walk and cycle, or take public transport, to our high streets if you can. Fewer cars make for more pleasant and safer high streets, as well as cleaner air. Our new measures to help social distancing create more space for people. We understand, though, that sometimes people need to drive, and our car parks and disabled parking are still available. You can find more information on our council car parks page.
A helping hand for traders
So far, we have granted £35.8 million in Business Support Grants for small businesses and those in the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors. We have also currently issued £1.3 million of grants to small and micro businesses not eligible under the original scheme by approving Discretionary Support Grants. Payments are ongoing for both schemes.
Rewards for you
As a thank you for helping our high streets thrive, some traders are offering discounts and other offers and promotions when you shop with them.
Our public toilets are open again and we have put the following in place so they can be used safely:
- all council public toilets are cleaned at least three times a day
- outdoor hand washing facilities on order which will be installed as soon as possible – in the meantime, hand sanitiser units have been installed outside all disabled toilets
- some external doors will be locked open so you can enter and exit without touching the door after you have washed your hands.
Find out more about changes to our services on our disruption to council services page.