Covid-19 Additional Relief Fund
The Covid-19 Additional Relief Fund has reopened for applications. The deadline to apply is midday 16 September 2022.
The aim of this relief scheme is to support businesses which have been impacted by Covid-19 but are not eligible for existing support linked to business rates.
You can apply for the relief if your business:
- was occupied at a rated premises in South Gloucestershire for any period from 23 March 2020 to 31 March 2022
- has been adversely impacted by coronavirus restrictions at the premises either through social distancing, government recommendations to work from home, or reduced demand (where the business predominantly supplies others who were unable to trade or adapt)
Businesses who have previously claimed Hardship Relief for 2020/21 can also apply for the Covid-19 Additional Relief Fund.
You can still apply if you have paid your 2020/21 rates in part or in full.
You cannot apply for the relief if your business:
- has unoccupied premises
- was entitled to Expanded Retail Discount or Nursery Discount in 2020/21 and/or 2021/22
- is in administration, liquidation or subject to a strike off notice on Companies House
- entered a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) or Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) during 2020/21 or 2021/22
- can claim back any business rates paid (for example: from the government, or landlord if the tenancy agreement specifies that rent is inclusive of rates).
- has significant business rates arrears prior to the first national lockdown in March 2020
- is liable for business rates on more than five non-domestic premises in England (a liability in this context will include both occupied and unoccupied liabilities)
Public organisations cannot apply. This includes:
- government departments, legislative bodies, and the armed forces
- local government including parish and town councils, local authority owned companies
- NHS (NHS and Foundation Trusts, practitioners who provide services under contract to the NHS)
- maintained schools, academy schools and further or higher education
- fire and rescue
What the relief will be based on
You could be eligible for up to 100% relief towards the 2021/22 financial year (subject to budget restrictions and a cap of £200,000 for each rate payer).
If your application is successful, the amount you get is at our discretion.
How to apply
The deadline to apply is midday 16 September 2022.
What happens next
All applications will be assessed and prioritised the week commencing 19 September 2022. We will aim to inform all applicants of our decision by 30 September 2022.
Unsuccessful applicants will receive written notification and successful applications will receive an amended rates bill once the relief has been applied.
Decisions are final and not subject to an appeal.