On 23 June 2016, the UK voted to leave the European Union (EU), via a nationwide referendum. Results can be viewed on our referendum on the UK’s membership of the EU webpage.

This page provides businesses and individuals (including EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in the EU) with links to up to date information on how to prepare for Brexit. You can also sign up for email updates.

Find out how Brexit will affect you and how to prepare at www.gov.uk/brexit

How we are preparing for Brexit

Our lead Brexit Officer is meeting regularly with key officers from all areas of the organisation to ensure we are taking the necessary steps to prepare locally for the UK’s exit from the EU.  We are also working with our neighbouring local authorities and other external partners in the multi-agency civil contingencies forum (Avon and Somerset Local Resilience Forum) to understand and react to the challenges and opportunities posed by Brexit for our area.

Information for EU, EEA or Swiss citizens living or working in South Gloucestershire

The UK government has reached an agreement with the EU that will protect the rights of EU citizens and their family members living in the UK. It has also reached an agreement with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, and a separate agreement with Switzerland.

These agreements mean that most citizens from the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland will need to apply to stay in the UK. They can then continue living their lives here as they do now.

EU Settlement Scheme

EU citizens and their family members (including children) can now apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK

The EU Settlement Scheme allows EU citizens and their family members to get the immigration status they need to continue to live, work and study in the UK. This status means they will continue to be eligible for public services, such as healthcare and schools, as well as public funds and pensions

The online application form can be accessed using a computer, tablet or mobile phone. There are three key parts to the application: identity, residence in the UK, and criminality.

Apply for settled or pre-settled status

If you apply to the EU Settlement Scheme successfully, you’ll be able to continue living and working in the UK after 30 June 2021 with either ‘settled status’ or ‘pre-settled’ status.

Find out:

  • who should apply (eligibility)
  • what rights you get from each settlement status

Visit GOV.UK to see further information about applying to the EU Settlement Scheme.

The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021, or 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

How to apply

You need to complete a short online application form using a computer, tablet or mobile phone.

Your application saves automatically, so if you want to, you can start and then complete it at another time. It is free to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Application guidance can be found on GOV.UK. Once you have read the guidance, start your application at gov.uk/apply-eu-settled-status.

Where can I get support?

The Home Office is responsible for the EU Settlement Scheme but has asked local councils like us to assist customers to apply.

Our One Stop Shop service is available for any customers that require support with the online process.

Other support is available as follows:

EU Settlement Resolution Centre

For individual questions about your application call 0300 123 7379. Find out about call charges on gov.uk/call-charges. You can also ask a question using the online submission form eu-settledstatus-enquiries.service.gov.uk. For more information visit GOV.UK.

Assisted Digital

This free service is available over the phone and in person if you do
not have the appropriate access, skills or confidence to complete the online application form. Contact Assisted Digital by calling 03333 445 675. For more information, visit gov.uk/eu-assisted-digital.

ID document scanning service

This service is available to complete the identity verification step if you do not have access to the EU Exit: ID Document Check app.

We are investigating with the Home Office the possibility of providing the scanning functionality that some customers will require to complete their applications but unfortunately we cannot provide this at the current time.

For a list of ID document scanning locations, visit gov.uk/eu-id-scanner-locations. There may be an administrative fee to use this service.

Community organisations

You can get support applying to the EU Settlement Scheme if you’re a vulnerable citizen, for example if you:

  • are elderly
  • are isolated
  • are disabled
  • are a child in care
  • have significant language or literacy problems
  • have mental health issues
  • do not have a permanent address
  • are the victim of domestic abuse
  • are the victim of human trafficking.

To find local and national organisations that may be able to offer help and support visit gov.uk/help-eu-settlement-scheme.

Businesses and self-employed

If you are a business owner and trade any goods or services with the EU you’ll need to get ready for Brexit.

For example, you need to take action if you:

  • export goods to the EU
  • import goods from the EU
  • transport goods by road
  • export animals or animal products

Find out how to prepare your business for Brexit

To share your views about Brexit and your business, take the survey on the West of England Growth Hub website.


Beta This is our beta website, your feedback can help us improve it.